Monday, October 8, 2012

Tutorial: Mantle Initial

I bought this wood L at Hobby Lobby ages ago.  I had big plans for it.  So big in fact I did NOTHING with it for ages because I could not for the life of me choose which big idea I liked best.  

Every time I opened my craft cupboard this L stared at me.  Basically taunting me to do SOMETHING...anything with it. 

Last night, after moving it for the thousandth time, I decided to just go for it.  I have seen a few ideas on Pinterest that I really liked.  Some people had covered theirs in flowers, fabric, paper collage and some had simply painted it.  I had also seen signs like this...


I loved them all and that is what kept me from doing anything.  Then a funny thing happened...I remembered I'm creative.  I know, I had to actually remember this.  I get lost sometimes in the comparing and less in the creating.  So last night I just went for it.  

Supplies: 

 

An old book...I never read, glue, wood letter, paint and paint brush.

First step: was to mix some glue, water and a bit of brown paint.  I wanted my final project to have an aged look so I used brown paint in my glue mixture.  If you have ModPodge on hand use that.  I am out so I just made do.  

Second step: was to start ripping pages.  My letter is on the smaller side. About 10 inches tall so I didn't need many pages.  As I was tearing my paper to get the edge design I liked I realized the chapter numbers were bigger and would work well for the date portion of my plan so I pulled the appropriate pages and set them to one side. 


Step three: is gluing the pages down.  I found it was best to add a layer of glue directly to my letter, firmly press the paper strips on to the letter and then brush another layer of glue on top.  I totally soaked my paper to get it to adhere and still had some issues.  I added more glue to my mixture and found it to work a bit better after that.  Just keep playing with it til you get the right mix.


I let this completely dry before cutting off the excess.  

I added the date of my anniversary at the bottom with the chapter numbers from above and it looked like this.


Then the fun begins...decorating.  I didn't take step by step pics of this part because everyone is going to do something different. I chose to make a quick flower out of an old zipper I had, added some fake plastic rhinestones my daughter had from a project, a bit of ribbon and free handed the words and this is what I came up with...


I really LOVE it!  Simple, goes with everything and looks good on my mantle.  I will do another one in the future that is bigger but for now I love this.  Plus my 5 year anniversary is just around the corner so I'm happy.  

Enjoy crafting and just go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment