Friday, January 18, 2013

seven days ago...

It's been a week...seven small insignificant days. I've done dishes (many loads actually), I've done laundry, grocery shopped, driven more miles than I can count, started a bible study group and...lost my Mama.

She passed on January 10th, 2013.  After 10 days in the hospital the cancer finally won.  She put up a valiant fight and won many of the battles but in the end it was stronger than her.  

What started as a trip to Overlake for pain control of some very sore feet ended with her joining God in heaven.

I'm still in shock I think.  I am not sure how much it has hit me.  I'm not dealing with much in the way of anything.  

I will say this though...all her strength.  All her gumption.  All her resolve...I have that in me.  I didn't know that until her last 48 hours of life.  I knew in my heart I needed to be there but until her last breath i didn't realize SHE needed me to be there.  People had been coming and going most of the day. Staying just a few moments each.  I think we all knew.  Dad and Elle had just arrived for the night and headed out to get a coffee before it was too late.  The room was quiet.  My Aunt and Uncle were sitting quietly.  I was trying to read but very unsuccessfully.

I glanced up and saw her face change a bit.  Her once rapid eyes had quieted.  Her face softened and her breaths got very shallow.  I knew.  All the time I had been praying for God to show me what to do and thankfully he did.  

I reached up and got really close.  Just by her ear.  I told her she was a good Mama. She was the best one for me. She was a good wife, daughter, grandmother, friend, coworker and teacher.  I told her to go peacefully and be with Jesus. I told her to kiss her daddy.  I whispered I love you and told her it was time.  

And she stopped...just stopped being.  She didn't breathe again, she didn't anything.  I don't ever want to forget her but I also want this memory to soften in my mind.  I want to let it blend into feeling and not actual visions.

It haunts me a bit.  Those last moments...I wouldn't have it any other way.

mama i love you~Always

1 comment:

  1. Oh Ara...I have tears. What a beautiful, beautiful way to welcome your Mom into heaven. She must have felt such peace knowing you were there.
    I was the only one there for my Dad. I had already said my good byes, and he got so upset when we cried, so I kept it light. I massaged his tired muscles that were still rapid firing because of the ALS. He always loved back rubs and said I had the best hands for massage. His feet were cold...and very painful too...so I warmed a towel for them. I came back and he took 2 deep breaths...and that was it. I didn't even have time to wake my Mom. It was so peaceful, and he went out with a massage:). I still have trouble with those last images, too. I know what you mean. I hope they do soften. I feel bad I couldn't get my Mom up. I had promised her that I would if anything changed, but it happened in about 10 seconds.

    I am praying for you Ara! I know you blessed your Mom in so many ways!

    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete