Friday, September 28, 2012

Fruktsoppa and chilly nights

I have said this before and will say it again...I LOVE FALL!

The nights are cooling off, the afternoons are warm and dry, the mornings...oh the sweet foggy mornings in this valley I love so much.  

Home has always been here...between the hills, along side the river, in a town of not too many but enough that you don't know everyone. It's amazing.  Football has started, kids are playing soccer on Saturday mornings, Pumpkin Spice is back and I'm in the mood to cook.

Frukt Soppa or fruit soup is what I'm thinking of tonight.  When I was a little girl I would help my Nana make a batch then the two of us would settle down around her big kitchen table and enjoy it while it was still warm from the stove.  This is a traditional Swedish recipe and one my family has handed down for many years.  

The first time I made this on my own I was 11.  It was family history week in 6th grade and this was all I could think of...it was my favorite family tradition.  

This weekend I'll be making it with my sweet girl.  She's 3 this year and is really enjoying learning her way around the kitchen.  This recipe is a great place for her to start...it's all easy peasy!

Fruktsoppa (fruit soup)

1/2 pound of seedless raisins
1/2 pound prunes
1/2 pound dried apricots
2 apples
2 slices lemon
2 slices orange
4 tablespoons tapioca
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 cup sugar
8 or 10 canned plums
2 canned peaches
3 quarts of liquid (juices from the canned fruit and water)

Wash the prunes, raisins, and apricots. Then soak the lot over night in water. 
To the above add fruit juices, apples, peeled and sliced, lemons, oranges, tapioca, sugar, cinnamon stick and simmer for 1/2 an hour.

Slice canned fruit and add to above.

Let stand for 3-4 hours to mellow and blend.

Serve hot (my preference) or cold.  Also quite good with heavy cream poured on top.  

Can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days.  
(my recipe is OLD!  the bottom says you can store in the fridge in covered jars for future use...it doesn't say how long...LOL!  My experience is a few days max.  I have frozen this before and it thaws just fine.  Make sure the container you use is specific for use in the freezer to avoid any damage to the fruit from burn.)

So if you are feeling the chill and want a sweet treat that is "kind" of healthy...try this.  We love it!  Thanks Nana for teaching me to love to cook!



No comments:

Post a Comment